[Rhodes22-list] Mike C and squirrels new home in Ohio - Now Running Sheets

Leland LKUHN at cnmc.org
Sat Jul 26 16:44:54 EDT 2008

Mike,

Running the Genoa sheets across the cabintop and then to the winch works,
but not well.  They drag across the cabintop hand-holds at quite an angle.

When running the sheets across the deck to the winch, don't forget to run
them through the snatchblock.  Otherwise the sheet will be angled down too
much when it hits the winch and will cause winch override, which will cause
your sheet to lock onto the winch.  It's very difficult to get the sheet
unlocked without heading into the wind to release the tension on the sheet.
To prevent this from happening, your sheet must lead up, not down, to its
winch.  I'm sure it's the reason Stan mounts our winches on raised
platforms.  There's a good article on eliminating winch overrides in the
August issue of Sail Magazine that just came out.

Lee