[Rhodes22-list] Information gathering

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Tue Jul 22 19:04:23 EDT 2008

John,
Taking a poll is a lousy idea. You are giving people that have never and
probably will never add anything to the list decide what direction we go in. I
think if anyone wanted to, they could certainly express their opinions freely
on  da list. I think the majority of the people like it just fine. Everyone
knows  how to use the delete button. There are times when I don't have the time
to read  all posts, but will sift through the ones that are sailing related.

Rummy

In a message dated 7/22/2008 4:58:17 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jlock at relevantarts.com writes:

At 04:25  PM 7/22/2008 -0400, Michael D. Weisner wrote:
>I wonder if we can try to  solve the problem a bit differently than chasing
>otherwise good folks  off the list.  Maybe John can set up a third
>distribution mode in  addition to "Non-digested" and "Digested", something
>called "Sailing  limited" which would only receive items of sailing interest.
>Maybe we  could use a prefixed subject line modifier such as "Sailing:" to
>direct  these posts to the limited list as well as the general list.
>Forgetting  to add the subject line modifier will only affect those who do
>not wish  to be on "da list", not the rest of us.  John, is such a  thing
>doable?

Doable, but probably not practical.  Besides  the programing involved,
it depends on the poster remembering to place the  magic word in the
subject line.  We all know how well THAT  works!

Seriously... before we can discuss making any changes, we need  more
information.  Right now we have no sense of what the majority
wants.  We've heard from the usual suspects on what they want, but
there are 268 list members; most of whom have not stated a  preference.

We might assume that everything is hunky-dory, since we  don't have
268 complaints.  But that may be because no good  alternatives have
been proposed.

I'd like to suggest a simple  poll.  I can whip one up in a few
minutes and post the URL to the  list.  We'll run it for a couple
weeks and see what kind of stats  come out.  Might be interesting to
have some facts to kick around...  yes?

Cheers!

John Lock