[Rhodes22-list] Information gathering

John Lock jlock at relevantarts.com
Wed Jul 23 11:57:38 EDT 2008

At 07:04 PM 7/22/2008 -0400, R22RumRunner at aol.com wrote:
>Taking a poll is a lousy idea. You are giving people that have never and
>probably will never add anything to the list decide what direction
>we go in. I
>think if anyone wanted to, they could certainly express their opinions freely
>on  da list. I think the majority of the people like it just fine. Everyone
>knows  how to use the delete button. There are times when I don't
>have the time
>to read  all posts, but will sift through the ones that are sailing related.

Easy big fella... didn't mean to set off your threat alarm.  I have
plenty of respect for the history of the list and how it has become
what it is today.  But that doesn't mean it's perfect and cannot be improved.

Personally, I like the list just fine the way it is.  Aside from the
macho posturing of the political wags, the off topic postings are
usually entertaining or insightful.  I would hate to lose that.  I
can hit delete as well as anybody, although my carpal tunnel is
beginning to flare up.

As you (and others) point out, the majority of the list are lurkers,
not contributing to the list.  On the other hand, we are also aware
that some active members of the list have not posted anything about
sailing or the Rhodes22 in over a year.  I wouldn't call that "contributing".

Cheers!

John Lock