[Rhodes22-list] Rhodes 22 Con Game? reply to David B, John L, Mike W., et al...

John Lock jlock at relevantarts.com
Mon Jun 9 16:32:51 EDT 2008

At 01:09 PM 6/9/2008 -0700, Tootle wrote:
>John L actually back in film days, a good Leica or Nikon took excellant
>available light color pictures.  I think, but have not used it for a couple
>of years, my Nikon has a f1.4 lenses.  Set on a tripod with long exposure
>even with slow exposure color film a good picture can be had.  The new
>electronic cameras do not allow for much of that kind of stuff and the range
>is very narrow before you get burn out.  The best pictures are still made on
>film.

The camera/lens model matters little.  It's the film emulsion that
counts.  Even on good film, you could not capture the range of
exposure found in low light scenes with bright highlights (such as
this one).  You will either capture the details in the dark areas and
blow out the highlights or you will get great images of ports
floating on a featureless black background.

Your suggestion of using a tripod and long exposures for a boat
floating on water needs re-thinking.  It would have to be a windless,
dead, flat calm not to record some motion.

Professionals have long used remote lighting to capture scenes like
this.  Then you can control the amount of light inside the cabin to
render correctly on a properly exposed background with a single,
quick exposure.  Lacking that time, skill, or equipment we can now
resort to software to make up the difference.  It's no different than
dodging and burning a print to achieve the same result.

Cheers!

John Lock