[Rhodes22-list] things to look for in a 1973 Rhodes 22

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Mon Jun 9 18:57:21 EDT 2008

Mike,

The biggest problems with the pre 1980's boats was that they were
manufactured for GBI not by them.  Some of the subcontractors were very
good - some very bad.  The problems were largely cosmetic - gel coat
blistering (this can be serious) and failure to withstand winters well
(delaminating of cockpit floors, etc.)  Interestingly enough, very few of
the older R22s that I have inspected had real structural problems in the
hull, unless they had been used as a flower pot.  Unfortunately, a few years
of neglect (rain water stored in hull) can destroy the value, unless you
really need a hobby.

Some folks on the list have restored these oldies and are quite happy.  It
may take a lot of work.  Just ask Lou Rosenberg - best to wait a few weeks
until he gets Miracles wet again before asking.  Most have had to strip the
hull, repair the glass damage, apply an epoxy barrier coat and then
refinish.  Once the hull is sound, you can move up to the deck, cockpit and
of course, the interior, the electrical system and the motor.  This one
doesn't mention an engine.

I have found some soft spots in R22 decks on the older craft, mostly due to
rain water intrusion through cracks or chips in the gel coat or portlight
leaks that were not repaired promptly.  These can be stiffened with
penetrating epoxy, although it is not a trivial process.  Many can be left
alone since they rarely involve structural integrity of the boat or rigging
system.

On a 1973 R22, expect to replace the rigging if it is not relatively new,
since many of the swaged fittings corrode over time.  The sails should be
inspected for wear, tears, mold, etc.  Plan on a new suit of sails, unless
recently replaced.  As far as replacement parts go, unless you want new,
Stan can usually save you money with components that he has acquired from
older boats.

The picture in the ad also shows a fairly tired looking trailer.  Be careful
before hauling if the trailer is not in good condition - you don't need to
break down on the way.  Check the tires, rims, steelwork, electrical system,
safety chains and repack the bearings before moving any distance.

It will be instructive, in the least, to take a look.  I would opt for a
reasonably priced recycled boat (or a new one if you can do it), unless you
have the time, the skills and the money to sink into a restoration.
According to Lou, he has spent nearly as much as the recycled boat that he
passed on, plus several years of hard work on his boat (including yard fees
during the rebuilding.)  Of course, there is no substitute for knowing every
inch of your boat personally and the pride in workmanship that results from
rebuilding your project boat.

Oh yes, ask Mary ... boats can become "the other woman" in your life.

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)
Nissequogue River, NY

From: "Mike Cheung" <mikecheung at att.net>Sent: Monday, June 09, 2008 4:45 PM