[Rhodes22-list] things to look for in a 1973 Rhodes 22

Arthur H. Czerwonky czerwonky at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 9 21:06:53 EDT 2008

Mike,

You have an abundance of advise about whether to see the boat, but have we really answered your question?

Check the deck and cabin top for soft spots (core delamination).  Very important.

Check the condition of the stringers, under the cabin flooring (any sign of wood deterioration).

Look at the condition within the lazarette, and support members to the transom, as well as the transom itself.

Look at the functionality and condition of the electrical system and wiring.  Look at the master fuzes and switches for corrosion, insulation deterioration.

Look at the motor, if it has one, and whether it starts easily and runs smoothly.

Look at the integrity of the motor mount and backing plate, if any, even if there is no motor.

Look at all sections of the standing rigging, also when last replaced.

Look at all of the sails completely.  If necessary are they sturdy enough to be repaired.  Do they hoist and/or furl fully and easily?

Look carefully at the trailer - will it haul the boat for five more years?

Look at the trailer tires - any sign of dry rot?  What year mfg.  You don't want to lose a boat or trailer on the highway.

Looking in the cabin - will you and your wife be able to freshen it up so it is livable for a weekend cruise?  Women are more particular than we are.

In the case of a newer boat, a brief look in each area might suffice, but with a boat this old, look very closely.  If you can nab one of our skippers, an eye experienced with this specific boat, go for it.  Be sure you are talking with the owner, not a broker, one who has sailed the boat recently.  Notice John's estimate of $10-12K when all is said and done. Can't Stan come close?  I could, with a primo '84, if I were selling it.  Get a view from Rob Lowe, whose boat is the same vintage.

So many questions.  It is worth looking carefully.  How would you have felt about discovering that you require a major after owning the Mooney for six months?  Any of these areas could produce the same shock if it came as a surprise.

I really hope this helps,

Art