[Rhodes22-list] things to look for in a 1973 Rhodes 22

Mike Cheung mikecheung at att.net
Mon Jun 9 21:31:59 EDT 2008

Good advice!  Thanks!  Unfortunately, this boat failed the "smell" test at a
distance ... my conversation with the owner convinced me that the boat was
too far from "good" to pursue.  But, since it was all of 30 miles away, "due
diligence" required that I check it out at least a little.

I'm conflicted when it comes to renovation on my own ... I'm well equipped
both from a tool standpoint (there's a mill in my basement and both a rib
steamer and a stick welder in the barn for starters) and experience
standpoint, but I'm also very busy with my "day job".  Contrary to popular
myth many of us in academia actually work pretty darned hard.  (Bet I'm
going to regret that quip.)  So a "turn key" solution is attractive, plus, a
turn key solution from someone who knows the product like Stan is a rare
opportunity, no argument there.  And the analogy to the Mooney strikes a
cord.  I fly a Mooney for a reason; it's best of breed, hands down (sorry
Brad!).

I do appreciate the good will and well meaning advice I've received.  This
is an interesting group, no doubt about that.

The Rhodes 22 does meet the 80% rule ... an aviation rule that says you
should own the aircraft that can fly eighty percent of the missions you
envision.  I can charter a big, liveaboard 3x footer for those occasions
when I want to fly to the Bahamas (8 hr and less than 100 gal of avgas from
KAKR) and cruise for few days with another couple.  For the rest, all I need
is a really capable day sailor that I have confidence in and that the
Admiral and I can take out for as long as we like with just the two of us on
any of the Great Lakes (which incidentally are not to be trifled with).  ...
sigh ... so I suppose it may be time to dicker with Stan.

Mike C.