[Rhodes22-list] Chesapeake gathering Memorial day ??

R Orkin roryorkin at verizon.net
Sat Mar 1 22:11:29 EST 2008

Duns cove is on Harris creek just north of Tilghman..Through Knapps Narrows
then north a little way
  I was talking to some friends who live in Claiborn this evening and they
also felt that the areas near Tilghman point (not to be confused with
Tilghman Island)  were very good spots

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/narrative-dunns-cove-maryland/1927289058

mtroy wrote:

> Hi Rory & Jim,
> Are you talking about the northern end of Tilghman Island?
> We've never been there though we've been by a number of
> times on our way to St. Michael's. We would certainly be
> interested in checking it out. Would that be too far for
> the Middle River folks? If anyone was thinking of
> trailering in there is probably a good ramp on the south
> side of Kent Island. Lee would know.
>
> If folks are still interested in Swan Creek we would be
> happy to help host assuming we get all our work done and
> Fretless is in the water. Right now she is minus some
> ports, forestay and backstay. We expect to have her back
> together by the end of April. One nice thing about the
> Memorial Day holiday is that it is not nearly as crowded
> as the other holidays because a lot of folks don't have
> their boats ready yet. Rock Hall is busy but not as busy
> as it is in the middle of the summer. Last year we were up
> the Chester for Memorial Day weekend (Corsica and
> Lankford) and it wasn't too crowded. The year before we
> were at Lankford and Queenstown - same thing.
>
> Mary Lou
> 1991 R22  Fretless
> Rock Hall, MD
>

> At 05:08 PM 3/1/2008, you wrote:
> Rory,
> Being a Chesapeake western shore resident/sailor, I admit
> to not being all that familiar as a Memorial Day Weekend
> visitor with your choice of proposed locations for a
> gathering. However, my limited experience on these
> national holidays is that the most popular destinations
> like Rock Hall & Dunn’s Cove get extremely crowded on
> these vacation weekends.  Therefore, I recommend the
> Tilghman Neck area as a good area ­ maybe even on the
> eastern side of Rich Neck where there’s a very good
> protected anchorage?  I’ve been there often & it’s quite
> nice … but not easily accessible by deep draft vessels ­
> thus not likely to be all that crowded on Memorial Day.
>  Just an alternative suggestion.
> Jim Morrison

> From: R Orkin <roryorkin at verizon.net>
>

>> There was sort of an agreement reached at the Planjam on Memorial Day
>> weekend
>> for an on water get together. THe location was never resolved.. I thought
>> would toss it out again. Only 3 months to decide :-)
>>
>> Places I heard discussed were Tilghman point area (just above Claiborne
>> on
>> eastern shore) There is a county ramp there. I could also bring the power
>> boat up there as a shuttle if it would help.
>> or
>> Somewhere near Rock Hall.. Availability of services would probably be
>> better
>> in that area if that is a consideration..There are lots of good
>> anchorages I
>> am told
>>
>> Dunns cove near me is popular and I also could shuttle there.
>>
>> There is also a county ramp on Tilghman.. Requires a launch permit and is
> [...]

-----
Rory Orkin
Tilghman, Md
2000 Recycled  Rhodes 22