[Rhodes22-list] Politics - Stan and Brad

Herb Parsons hparsons at parsonsys.com
Fri Mar 28 10:23:25 EDT 2008

I don't know that I agree with the statement that "he's toast", but the
whole discussion HAS gotten me thinking about how interesting the US
political process is. How often do we have political candidates that are
seriously considered for the highest office in our country, arguably the
most powerful position in the world, that fade into obscurity
afterwards? Actually, the easier question would be how often do the
losers NOT fade into obscurity? There are the occasional "succeed on the
second try" candidates, but for the most part, if you lose a serious
presidential bid, you can just about shelve your further political
aspirations.

Face it, we're a fickle group. As much was love the "underdog", we
dislike losers more.

I think Brad's partially right. If Obama doesn't become President, he
will fade to obscurity. I also feel his fall (if it happens) will be as
fast as his rise.
If Hillary doesn't become President, I believe she'll be Al Gore x 10.
She'll be unelectable (and will probably realize it), but will become an
"activist" (or spoiler, depending on your view) for as long as there are
folks that will continue to listen.