[Rhodes22-list] Routine Maintenace

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Sat Mar 29 11:38:11 EDT 2008

Dan,
If the hull was painted the paint needs no polish - just an
occasional cleaning with mild soap. I hope other people will chime in
on the decks. We've just scrubbed the last couple of years. Every wax
we've used has attracted more dirt from air pollution than the bare
gelcoat. I've seen lemon oil promoted for the interior teak. The
companionway framing on our boat is very dark and finally needs
attention after 10 years. I think I'm going to sand it lightly and
use a walnut stain-varnish. It's covered by the hatch when the boat
is closed up so I don't think it needs the UV protection. We have
teak edging in the cockpit and I use an old can of a West Marine
product similar to Cetol on that. The can is at least 6 years old and
I only use a little bit of it every other year. We use real varnish
on our tiller and keep a sunbrella cover on it when not in use. We
also used real varnish (don't laugh) on the fake teak table that gets
used in the cockpit and forms part of the bunk in the cabin. It
really looks pretty good and has held up well.

Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless
Rock Hall, MD