[Rhodes22-list] Schooner Encounter

Leland LKUHN at cnmc.org
Tue May 6 09:49:32 EDT 2008

Almost ran into this ship last Friday.

http://sultanaprojects.org/abouthevessel.htm

She was on a run with a modern day sloop accompanying in front of her by
about 100 feet.  I was on a close reach with the tiller locked and all 175%
of the Genoa out doing just under 5 knots.  I was on a starboard tack so I
had the right-of-way but I'd figure I'd give way anyway.  There were about
40 teenagers on board with a destination to the Chesapeake and as usual I
wasn't going anywhere, and my little Rhodes was slightly more maneuverable.
As luck would have it I didn't have to touch the tiller and passed right
between the two boats.  I was so close I could have tossed them a beer,
which the teenagers probably would have appreciated.

It was impressive to see a brand new 240-year old ship out at sea.

Website compliments of my sailing buddy Tom.

Lee
1986 Rhodes22  At Ease
Kent Island, MD