[Rhodes22-list] Mississippi River

John Shulick jsbudda at verizon.net
Sun May 11 15:51:08 EDT 2008

Steven Alm wrote:

> Hey Rod and Mary,
>
> Have you ever taken a trip down the river?  Mary Ann and I have always
> fantasized about a Mississippi voyage.  Do you think this would be doable
> on
> an R22?  There's lots of towns along the way to stop and visit and you
> could
> beach almost anywhere.  It's a commercial waterway and so it's main
> channel
> is maintained at a 12 foot minimum.   We'd go down but not back up.  We'd
> have to arrange someone to meet us with a trailer somewhere downstream.
> One
> downside is that I wouldn't really want to swim in it.  Any thoughts
> anyone?
>
> Huckleberry Slim

Having lived in Pittsburgh and boated on the 3 rivers around our city I have
some concerns about your
proposed trip. First of all the barges who use the river 24/7 are
essentially locked in a confined channel
and cannot stop or avoid you. It is your problem to avoid them. They also
have priority over you in the use of locks so if they are stacked up you may
not get through and will have to wait. However, my main concern is do you
have enough engine to overcome the power of the river current??? 10 hp is
fine for calm days but I have been on the river when the corp of engineers
has open up a dam gate to control
to water level and the power of the current is shocking to someone not used
to it. Also if you accidentally get to close to and overflow dam can that
engine get you out of there before you go over?
I am a new Rhodes owner and am not sure how much the engine mount can handle
but there are others out there who would.