[Rhodes22-list] Mississippi River

Steven Alm stevenalm at gmail.com
Tue May 13 15:15:29 EDT 2008

Thanks to all who responded.  We're in the process of collecting charts and
other info.  It's not likely that we'd take a very loooong trip.  We're not
setting our sights on NOLA or anything like that.  Or even Memphis--sorry,
Brad.  Maybe the Quad Cities.  Even that's pretty adventurous for us.

We'd launch the boat someplace where we could safely leave it for a couple
days.  Probably Lake Pepin which is not really a "lake" but just wide
river.  Then drive the empty trailer and a second vehicle and go south as
far as...who knows.  Leave the trailer there and drive back to the boat in
the second car.

But as Richard points out, I wonder how much actual sailing we'd do.  Which
makes me wonder how much I can rely on our 11 year-old Merc 8.0.  We've been
on the river a lot with our fishing boat and have had plenty of experience
getting out of the way of the big barges--sometimes as many as six tied
together.  But with a Lund 17' and a Johnson 35, it's speedy and easily
maneuvered.  The Rhodes, not so much.

We think the trip would be pretty dog-friendly and we'd plan on beaching or
docking early and often for that reason.

Lots more research to be done.

Slim