[Rhodes22-list] Paint Job

John Shulick jsbudda at verizon.net
Sun May 18 11:54:50 EDT 2008

Hey John,
                Nice Job.  I was just about to start the same  project as
far as the LPU finish goes.  A couple of questions:  How did you apply the
paint topsides?  What was the temperature?  Did you do it out in the open or
in an enclosed paced.  What was the source? Any comments or pointers would
be appreciated.

Hi Chris,

   I used a 1/8 nap foam roller to apply all the products used in my
project. I got them from West Marine. These rollers are normally used for
applying epoxy resin but I found them to be excellent for
applying thin even coats and minimizing the "orange peel" effect. The
Products were applied outdoors in the late afternoons with the temperature
in the mid to low 50s. The boat must be sanded with 80 grit paper for the
initial coat to bond properly. It is essential if you paint outdoors to be
aware of the
humidity and relative dew point in relation to the temperature. If you try
to apply product and there is
any condensation on the hull you will have a very lousy day. Be aware that
in low temperatures the
polyurethane will be somewhat soft even when dry to the touch so try to
avoid banging into it for awhile while the product cures. I would also
advise the use of a good respirator with VOC rated filters as you're only
issued one set of lungs and these paints are toxic. The respirator I got
from Lowes everything else came form West Marine. I used 1gal Interlux
E-2000 grey barrier coating 1gal Interlux
Epoxy Primecoat and 1 gal Brightside polyurethane. Each gallon yielded
approximately 2 coats with a
little left over. Sanding between coats I used 180 grit paper and wiped the
surface clean between coats.

           Good Luck
           John S.