[Rhodes22-list] question about shocking Rhodes 22's

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Mon Nov 10 12:07:52 EST 2008

John,
The topic of grounding goes back to the often discussed topic on grounding
for lightning protection. Grounding for removal of static electricity would be
easy, but then you are setting yourself up for corrosion problems if other
voltage found it's way to your grounding system. Much research has been done
concerning sail boats and lightning by a lot of very smart and knowledgeable
people, but for a deck stepped mast, most of us agreed that grounding a Rhodes
22 would simply make us more of a target.....at least for fresh water
sailors.  Salt water adds another dimension to the problem and most agreed it is a
personal decision. To date, there have been no reports of R22's taking a direct
 hit from lightning.
For me, when ever there is even a slight chance of lightning, I find a
secluded cove, drop anchor, hunker down and listen to loud music and drink  massive
quantities of rum until the bright flashing lights and loud sounds go  away.

Rummy

In a message dated 11/10/2008 11:57:48 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,