[Rhodes22-list] Oh My God!..more

elle watermusic38 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 23 20:51:52 EST 2008

Herb, here is the story related to me by a very good friend who is nearing retirement age. She is not  what you would think (pince-nez glasses, sneakers, long dress. she is an accomplished artist, has master's degree in art & art history, sells her work professionally. ) She is elegant and reserved. Only change I have made was to remove full names.

After you read her tale, and then the last paragraph, let that contrast stay with you, as these are the types of people who go into the lion's den of education daily. (BTW...there is a sequel to this story...I will try to find it..)

elle

THe STORY:

>>>Just a footnote to the week!  I am soooooooo irritated....and that's a mild word for the feelings I really have!!!!

I was in the school building this morning, beginning my 9th grade homeroom when one of our assistant principals came in to tell me that our community resource officer (sheriff's deputy assigned  to our school) wanted to see me out by my car.  I didn't think that was good news.  As I went outside I saw the officer copying my vin number from outside my car window.  I called out to him when I suddenly saw my back bumper hanging by a shred, the right tail light gone, and some "skin" off the back side panel.

To make a very long story short, one of the hotrodding girls in her new Ford 150 tried to turn her monster machine on a dime in the lane between the art and music teachers' cars and the students' row.  Couldn't be done of course, even in a Mini, but the rip and shudder of my car being pushed into the next spot didn't  stop her.....Apparently she didn't realize she hooked my bumper in her wheelwell fors ome time and just kept going, according to witnesses....tons of students about to be tardy because of gawking at all this.

Instead of getting my grades finished and beginning my new term plans with my students, I had to spend  hours getting info from the officer about the accident, trying to get her parents on the phone, and get their insurance data etc..., my insurance agents, the local body shop , trying to get someone to rent me a car...etc., etc....On it goes.....

Turns out the man's insurance co. says they never heard of him....Strike one.....Strike two was this young woman's unrepentant nature which she demonstrated this afternoon upon seeing me walking to my car.  She was parked near there talking with students who pointed me out.  (She never sought me out to say she was sorry.) She then floored her truck and shot out of the lot.....to escape me I guess.....  Good thing no one was in her way.  I have an appointment to see the principal about this tomorrow.

Strike two and a half, is that my loaner car  has 275,000 miles on it...and I have no idea how to put in the gas, but, it is a loaner until I can get a rental paid for by someone.....and I am grateful to Dan......and, in the light of day, I will figure out how to get the gas in.....

I have to have all my grades into the computer and sent out into cyber space by 11 o'clock tomorrow night.....and...so....I will have to go to school tomorrow, in the loaner car, after I vote to finish all this while the rest of the teaching staff works on lesson plans at home.........hisssssss!!!

And so, when Ashton brought a vase of flowers by here from Sue and Nelsonlate this afternoon, to cheer Betsy and me as we approach Mom's birthday tomorrow, we were reminded that as wild as the days get, and as unfair as they often seem, there is goodness, caring and generosity in the world.....and we are grateful for our family and friends who listen......Thanks for letting me rant.....and now on to those grades...

and, on to a better day tomorrow....

NB