[Rhodes22-list] Oh My God!

Herb Parsons hparsons at parsonsys.com
Sun Nov 23 20:54:32 EST 2008

While you're getting it, I'll relate to you a true story of my own. This
is first hand.

My youngest came home one day and semi-causally mentioned that her PE
coach called her "stupid". Not "don't act stuipd" (which is bad enough),
but actually said "Kaite, you're stupid".

I asked her when her PE class met. It was first period in the morning. I
told her I'd be taking her to school the next day and introducing myself
to her coach.

Now mind you, of my four daughters, Katie is by far the one most like
me. She can be obnoxious, bullheaded, and defiant, and joyfully delight
in all of the above. UNLIKE me, she's been known to tell a tall tale or
two, so I was willing to go in to meet the coach with something of an
open mind.

We walked in the gym, and she headed for the dressing room. I walked to
the coach, and introduced myself. The conversation went something like this:

Me: Hi Coach XXXXX, I'm Herb Parsons, Katie's father.
He: Good to meet you, what can I help you with today.
Me: Well, we have a little problem I wanted to clear up. Katie tells me
you called her "stupid", is that correct?
He: Hmmmm.... no, no I don't believe I said anything like that to her.
Me: Man, I hate it when she lies to me like that. Let's get this
resolved right now (Much louder - so she could hear me across the gym)
Kaite - get over here please, I need to talk to you.
He: Oh wait, wait, no need to bring her over here. Now that I think
about it, I might have said that to her.
Me: Oh... OK. (Louder again) Katie, that's OK, never mind. (Much quieter
now, in almost a monotone). You know, Katie has her share of problems,
but she's not stupid. I want you to know, if she's giving you any
problems at all, please contact me. At the same time, if you give her
problems, Katie knows that she can tell me about it, and I'll deal with
it. I hope we understand each other.
He: Yessir, we do.
Me: Just so you know, I'm not angry, and I DO want you to call me if she
causes you problems. But I don't want you calling her inappropriate
names or mistreating her. She's my kid, and I love her.
He: I understand. I hope you accept my apology. It wasn't meant in malice.
Me: No problem.

Now, to the broader issue we were discussing. I've seen the teacher's
unions complain about area school districts establishing minimum
competency testing. I've seen the teacher's unions complain about pay
rates. I've seen those issues written into contractual agreements
between the unions and the school districts. Maybe they, as unions, have
complained about their lack of ability to paddle or discipline, but I
haven't heard about. I don't think they have. I'm almost positive that
the ability to discipline has not been in contention when negotiating
for contracts. I've even heard of teachers going on strike over wages,
but never over the ability (or lack thereof) to discipline the kids.

Herb Parsons