[Rhodes22-list] Oh My God!

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Sun Nov 23 21:21:56 EST 2008

Rummy,

That's not a statement I can agree with.  Education is a life long
experience. Even the child from the worst environment has access to a
K-12 education.  It may not be the best education, and it may not be
fair compared to other kids born into better circumstances, but they
at least have access.  The three most reliable predictors of poverty
are (1) not graduating from HS, (2) having a child out of wedlock, and
(3) getting addicted to drugs or alcohol. Do all three and you are
almost guaranteed failure. When you have kids coming from households
with all three present, no amount of money thrown at "education" will
solve the problem.

The reason private schools do so well with fewer resources is because
they get the students that come from families that don't fit into the
three predictors of poverty.  It isn't the education system that is
broken.  Throwing more money at "education" will not solve the base
problem.

Brad