[Rhodes22-list] Political Re ply to Captain Ed

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 18:06:32 EDT 2008

Chris,

You hit on an important point.  The problem with a one party system is
that even when you make the shift from a centrally planned economy to
capitalism, those with connections to the party hold the means to
production. That worked for awhile but the military and party owned
factories eventually had to compete with foreign goods and foreign
manufacturers that set-up shop in China. It didn't take long for
consumers to discover that a Shanghai Buick or Beijing Jeep was ten
times better than other domestic cars. It has taken twenty years to
happen, but to answer your question, yes, it's a level playing field
and it's highly competitive.  Many of the former army factories have
shut down because they couldn't compete domestically and they sure
couldn't compete in the export market. My sister-in-law (an accounting
professional with an MBA from Fordham) still advises against making
direct personal investments in Chinese companies because they're
behind on accounting issues.  Investing in Chinese companies listed on
the NYSE, like many of the airlines, is a different issue (note,
never, ever, ever invest in a passenger airline).  Based on the
Chinese experiment, the benefits of capitalism to the population are
immediate.  The "fairness" issues of the market take a couple of
decades or more to work out.  The former states of the Soviet Union
are following the same pattern with those states having competing
political parties making progress a little faster.

Brad