[Rhodes22-list] Anchor Lights

Lou Rosenberg steadilsr at verizon.net
Mon Sep 1 21:29:16 EDT 2008

Daniel

My masthead had nothing when I bought my boat,  so after studying the
regulations and realizing that I could have the standard tricolor or
an anchor light I opted for a 360° "steaming light / anchor light".
The way I read the regulations, if I leave it on at an anchorage I am
going to be taken as anchored.  If my boat is moving at night under
motor, I put it on and its considered a "steaming light".   Call me
irresponsible but I don't have that much room up there for 2
different kinds of lights.  I also made the original stern light on
my R22 a vent for the laz and moved my stern light to mid way up my
stern rail on the port side.

and if I get into a storm or heavy fog by accident I have  an
inexpensive Radio Shack personal strobe light which would attach to
my halyard or topping lift for greater visibility.  thats not allowed
either under strict regulations I bet.

I welcome feedback and criticism on this decision, but I m still a
lilly liberal son of a bitch and that s not going to change.

Lou
s/v Miracles