[Rhodes22-list] Single Handing

Herb Parsons hparsons at parsonsys.com
Tue Sep 2 11:10:52 EDT 2008

For the most part, I'm a lake sailor. I've had my boat on the gulf a few
times, and have sailed with others across the gulf, but I'm usually on a
liake, and usually the same lake.

On that lake, I typically only wear my inflatable when racing (a LOT can
happen when you race, oh, and I don't race my boat, I crew for others),
when winds are very high (sorry, for me 15 knots isn't high, 20 would be
though), or I'm on the boat alone. That's my "rules" for the lake, but
then, it's a lake that's only about a mile wide, and I can swim that far
comfortably.

When I'm further away than I can swim to shore, anywhere, I have a life
jacket on.

I have an auto tiller and a tie down for the tiller for my boat when I'm
single-handing. If the winds got over 20 knots and I was on my boat
alone, I'd probably head for the marina. If I was elsewhere, I'd
definitely reduce sail. The rest would depend on... well, the rest.