[Rhodes22-list] Outboard Stalling

MichaelT mticse at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 12:33:30 EDT 2008

I have a Yamaha 8hp/2-Stroke outboard that is continuing to stall everytime I
use it. The fix that I've had to perform while the outboard is running is by
continuing to squeeze/pump the primer bulb every 30 secs or so. Somehow the
motor is not properly sucking in the gas. All hose clamps have been
tightened w/ no obstruction on the gas tank side. Any ideas?

The motor is 20 years old. Hence, also considering getting a Yamaha/Tohatsu
replacement. I like the Yamaha because of the shift lever being located at
the motor tiller handle (and electric start, remote control capabilites),
the Tohatsu for its simplicity. Looks like 2 strokes are outlawed, can't
find them anywhere.

Hope everyone had a good summer sailing. I had a wonderful time thus far on
my first year w/ my Rhodes and look forward to extending the season as far
as I can!

Best,
Michael
s/v Silverside