[Rhodes22-list] Paul Krawitz and Andrew Collins and other interested parties about Political discussion is diluting the value of the current Rhodes 22 forum

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Wed Sep 3 07:47:38 EDT 2008

Folks,

Your comments about this forum are made a couple of times a year (?) or at
least a couple of times every couple of years.  Believe it or not there are
there other Rhodes forums.  When there is no activity on a forum the
subscribers cease.  Ask Cowie how many responses he got on another forum?

While it would be nice to have all sailing or boat related posts, history
has shown that does not happen.  That results in having a couple of posts a
year and negibible members.  Bill Effros recently called this list, "Rummy's
Bar".  Some people would never step foot into a bar.  However, how many
sailors never have an "adult beverage".  This is an old fashion tavern on
the corner, an early American institution.

This email forum was created off one of that very restrictive email list.
It was comical to see about every third day a post asking, "Is this list
working?' or 'Test' or some similar post.  So a number of members of that
list asked if there was a way to have an active forum.  Captain Michael
Meltzer, a New York City computer guru offered to host a polyglot forum and
a wide open forum was agreed upon.  This list is the evolution of that
forum.

Many have disagreed with the format and opinions offered.  Many stated that
they were leaving in disgust.  However, a sailing knowledgeable group
remains.  There are still other restricted forums around.  But do they have
traffic and responses?  A group without responses helps nobody.

Occasionally members of this forum get together in different parts of the
country.  Occasionally members visit other members while in other parts of
the country.  Often groups meet and dine at the boat shows.

Paul that was a great picture you attached.  Do you have a trailer for your
boat?  Maybe it is time to drag your boat and family to meet some others?

There is still just enough water in Lake Hartwell to launch a Rhodes 22.
The water level at the end of our ramps is at four feet.  There is still 150
feet of water in the channel.  Dare to explore.  We have good restaurants in
the upstate of South Carolina.  We have football games.  We have access to
mountains.

Last weekend the parking lot on Black Balsam Mountain was so full the cars,
trucks, SUV's were parking on both sides of the road.  Shinning Rock
Wilderness was crowded.  Shinning Rock Ridge has been miss named it should
be called 'Blue Berry Mountain'.  Hoards of people were picking gallons of
blue berries.

There still might be a few left this weekend.  Come and pick wild blue
berries at 6,000 feet.  Since it has recently rained up there it is safe to
eat and pick. How many gallons were eaten instead of going into all those
plastic milk jugs?  Oh, but I digressed from sailing...