[Rhodes22-list] Jim Johnston - a reply to some of your Mast Hoist Questions

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Fri Sep 26 06:43:54 EDT 2008

Jim:

I have been involved in raising and lowering the mast with Stanley's current
design of the General Boats Mast System using the older hardware of using
the back inner shrouds to connect to the mast.

On boats leaving the factory today, I am led to believe that he is using a
dedicated connection of the mast to the crane.

While I have often benefited from the assistance of other in raising and
lowering the mast, I have had the exemplarily assistance from Captain Rummy,
Elton Spitzer and Stan Spitzer.   I have also done it by myself.

Yes, it can be done by yourself.  It can be done safely and in reasonable
time by yourself.

In the early years of this century, we had a Rhodie who lived between a
bridge and his choice sailing area.  Yes, he left his crane hooked up to get
past the bridge.  With the old system that meant connecting and reconnecting
two shrouds.  So contrary to the naysayers, yes you could do what you want
to do.  That is as long as the mast laying on the crutch will get under the
bridge.  Think about 12 feet of clearance at waterline.

With Stanley’s mast hoist system you can raise or lower the mast on the
trailer or on the water.  Imagine that!

What are the problems of you getting the mast hoist system?  Its cost and
problems shipping complete.  Because of the winch handle and extensions on
the crutch, its shape makes it a real pain in the ass to package.  Stan does
not have a shipping department nor shipping personnel.  He has to take
shipments to the local UPS office several miles from the plant.  Visualize,
if you will an 80+ year old guy dragging packages on the counter.  So, you
should plan to go get it yourself?

Alternatively, see if he is going to the local boat show near you this
season and have him bring one with him.  That is pay for it in advance with
small additional bribe to doing the favor.

Remember always, while General Boats has a big sounding name, it is really
the Stan and Rose side show. If you call the plant, try to call in the
afternoon.  In the mornings, Stan is busy trying to make peoples Rhodes 22's
and calls in the morning disrupt him from making others their Rhodes 22s.

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA