[Rhodes22-list] Anchoring, stern rail and searching the archives was Re: Call for Advice

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Fri Dec 4 07:38:48 EST 2009

Rummy, I can see the need for a dinghy on the Bay. Your method would
work in some places, but in many other prime anchoring spots, you may
not want to step off into that last foot of water because of the
mud.. Also with our tides, you would have to reanchor for the night
and repeat the process in the morning for Winston to get his morning walk.

Frank, note that getting in and out of the R22 into a dinghy requires
a bit of technique because you need to get over both the stern rail
and the traveller to get to the ladder. It can be done (we do it
fairly often) but it requires a bit of climbing. Ron Singerman on
this list made a modification to the stern rail that may be of
interest to you. You can see the results here:
http://www.rhodes22.org/pipermail/rhodes22-list/2009-July/061296.html

The best way I've found to search the archives is to use Google. The
search I just used to find Ron's modification was: ["stern rail"  ron
site:rhodes22.org] without the brackets. Because Ron had actually
used the word "transom" the search only got me to a discussion of his
modification but from there I was able to click on the "thread " link
which took me to a threaded list for that month's discussions. It's a
little cumbersome but it seems to work most of the time. The list is
also available and archived on Nabble.
http://old.nabble.com/Rhodes-22-f14229.html  Some folks use and
really like this interface. I don't but you can do searches there and
I sometimes do that if a Google search doesn't yield the results I
want. I seem to remember a former list member recomending using
Ask.com instead of Google but I haven't used that.

Mary Lou