[Rhodes22-list] Early Spring Chesapeake cruising?

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Mon Feb 2 09:31:48 EST 2009

It's a real roll of the dice. It's generally too early in the Upper
Bay. Temperatures might be high in the 50s, or the 40s or if you are
lucky the 60s. Lows overnight could be 30s to 40s. Generally stronger
winds (but sometimes no wind at all). There won't be many boats
around. We generally use March for boatwork and try to launch in
early April. We are usually among the earlybirds.

Maybe someone in the Lower Bay will chime in. Again I suspect it's
hit or miss.

One thing to remember for the East Coast is we still get nor'easters
through the end of March and occasionally early April. If they are
close to the coast, they are not to be trifled with. 40 to 50 mile
winds are common and heavy precipitation. Some of the Philadelphia
area's biggest snows have been in March though I suspect they may
have been rain on the Bay.

If you want to do the Bay, it's usually better around Memorial Day.
Some years there are a lot of people out but my experience is that a
lot of folks aren't ready yet.

Best,
Mary Lou
1991 R22  Fretless