[Rhodes22-list] Computer Question

Herb Parsons hparsons at parsonsys.com
Sun Jan 4 08:51:09 EST 2009

Adobe is one of the most powerful programs of its type, and it's also
probably one of the most underutilized program of its type. Most folks
don't need it. The vast majority of people only use Adobe to read PDF
files. If that's all a person uses it for, then Adobe Reader is fine,
and most Adobe substitutes will work as well. Even those that actually
need to generate PDF files don't need the extensive capabilities of
Adobe. They invented the concept, but had to keep adding features to
"stay ahead of the competition", and have very much become "bloatware"
as a result.

That's a long version of saying you're probably alright dumping it, but
I'd keep my source CD's handy just in case you find you're missing some
capabilities that you need.

Brad Haslett wrote:
> You computer geeks probably already know this, and how to fix it as
> well, but I only fool with my computers when they behave badly.  I've
> been struggling with various versions of Adobe Acrobat Reader for
> years.  I've got some manuals on CD that will run on earlier versions
> but not later versions, and my attempt to install Acrobat 9 led to
> nothing but frustration.  Solution - eliminate it altogether.  I just
> downloaded Foxit Reader and so far it works great - much faster and a
> whole lot fewer resources. Now I'm contemplating removing Acrobat from
> the other two machines.  Anyone have experience with Foxit or a good
> reason not to dump Adobe?
>
> Brad

Herb Parsons