[Rhodes22-list] To Deploy & Board An Inflatable from a Rhodes

Caesar Paul caesarpaul01 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 8 15:40:18 EST 2009

Mary Lou:

You give helpful information as usual.  I smiled when you said, " Very carefully!"; I will remember that.

I have seen the type of inflatable you use at Sporting Goods Stores, but hesitated to buy.  With the service you have had with your "toy", I can be more confident in my purchase of mine.  Thanks.

Metaphor:

You have touched on one of the issues I'm debating.  Bluewater Charts give more detailed and information specific to ocean navigation, but do I want all that information, for all I plan to do is some coastal crusing around some islands in Puget Sound.  Even as I'm typing this I'm thinking about not being "penny wise and pound foolish."  Thanks for your thoughts.

Ed, you wrote:

"My R22 has never sunk so I cannot tell you how to jump into a inflatable
from a Rhodes 22 sailboat."

Are you telling me that an experinced sailor like yourself has never used a mooring or anchored offshore, and boarded a dinghy to  get to a dock or explore some quiet and remote beach?  What have you been doing all this time?  Explain yourself man; I must be missing something.

 "Does your menu allow you to
select maps?"

Some garmin cards allow you to upload and download, and some don't.  With the CD's its the same thing.  You have to decide what features you want.  I want to be able to read, and transfer the information on both my computer and my Hand Held GPS.

"Did you see the list police request Slim apolize to Bill Effros for his
drunken comment?  Do you think if he called up Bill and apologized Bill
might come back?"

Reconciliation is always better than eatrangement, particularly so, when the issue or event that caused the break was not done with malicious intent.

"Is there more freedom in Trinadad?"

There is a lot of freedom in Trinidad, perhaps more, because countries like Trinidad lack the resources or the will to enforce it laws.  We also tend to mimic bigger countries, both the good and the bad.

Dan wrote:

My wife and I had no difficulty getting in and out of it
by looping a line from both bow and stern of the inflatable to the winch on
the Rhodes and then stepping from the cockpit to the center of the
inflatable.

Thanks for sharing Dan.  I will have all summer to experiment with getting in and out of an inflatable, and what you said is reassuring.  I want to keep the family dry when making these transitions; and I will take a look at the Sea Eagle Inflatable on line.

Bob wrote:

  Plotting courses and waypoints is much easier on the laptop and it is very easy to transfer the data.

I like this versatility, do your planning and plotting on the computer, and then download to the hand held.  sounds good to me.

Jim wrote:

 Grip the grab line and the swim ladder tgether
with the same hand while getting in and out.  That limits the movement of
the inflatable under your feet.  Load stuff other than yourself separately.

Try it out in warm water if you can ;-)

Jim, warm water is hard to find in the northwest; now if only I was back in the Caribbean.

I took a group to Trinidad two summers ago.  You should have seen their responses to being in the ocean.  One guy had a temperature guage on his watch and informed us that the water was 87 degrees.

I will let you know how it goes.

Caesar
Gentle Breeze
1984 recycled 2008