[Rhodes22-list] The inflatable alternative for Caesar

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Thu Jan 8 18:53:58 EST 2009

Caesar asked, "Are you telling me that an experinced sailor like yourself
has never used a mooring or anchored offshore, and boarded a dinghy to  get
to a dock or explore some quiet and remote beach?  What have you been doing
all this time?  Explain yourself man; I must be missing something."

Caesar in the south the water is warm.  The technique is to sail toward the
beach and at about 30 feet out drop the anchor.  Allow the stern to swing
toward shore and tie line to stern horn cleat.  Climb down ladder and wade
to beach.  Place stern anchor on beach so that if possible the bow points
into wind.  With motor up all you need is a couple of inches of water for
stern of a Rhodes 22.  Also, if wind is completely wrong anchor boat in
water a few feet deep and place both anchors so that boat sits in a few feet
of water or even several feet of water.  Swim to shore if too deep to wade.
Do you know how to swim?  You can swim in water temperatures down to 60
which usually do not occur around here until after Thanksgiving.  Water
shoes are about $3.00 a pair at Myrtle Beach, a lot less expensive than the
inflatables being discussed.  Have you considered getting a pair?

I also have one of those big tubes that they tow behind power boats.  You
can tow the things behind a sailboat!  Kids or even adults enjoy it.  Again,
less expensive than those fancy inflatables.

Now if you want an inflatable have you looked at:

http://www.reveresupply.com/revere_2008/4_recreational_liferafts.html

If you need a inflatable, why not the one that will save your life?

Ed K
WARNING: the following should be avoided by the humor-impaired
Three polar bears, a mommy, a daddy, and a baby, are walking along the ice.
Baby: "Mommy, am I a polar bear?"
Mommy: "Yes, dear."
Baby: "Mommy, are you and daddy polar bears?"
Mommy: "Yes, dear."
Baby: "Mommy, am I adopted?"
Mommy: "No, dear, you're not adopted, and yes, you are a polar bear.  Why
all the questions?"
Baby: "Because, mommy, I'm freezing my ass off!"