[Rhodes22-list] Non-sailing Spouses (was Vancouver, BC)

Metaphor mwager at bluecrab.org
Fri Jan 16 08:49:48 EST 2009

hparsons wrote:

> I'm curious, why is she a "decidedly non-sailing wife"?
>
> 1 Decidedly non-sailing
> 2 Ambivalent about sailing
> 3 Enjoys sailing
>
> If your spouse is in category 1 or 2, what is it about the sport that
> keeps them from moving up a level? If they are in 2 or 3, what are you
> doing that keeps them from moving down a level?
>
> Face it, if your spouse or SO participates in your hobby, whatever it
> is, you will get to enjoy it more. If he/she does not, you'll often be
> faced with the decision of leave them behind or leave the sport behind.
> Neither is a good choice.

My wife and share a lot of interests, but we also have other interests that
don't coincide.  We both are relatively outdoorsy people. She's just not
interested in sailing, but is very encouraging about my own participation in
the sport.  She's been out a couple of times, and we regularly hike and sea
kayak together.  It's just not her thing, and I respect that, so, other than
the occasional offer to go sailing once in a while, I don't push it.  I've
never felt that I lose something if she's not there, and I've never been
pressed to leave sailing behind.