[Rhodes22-list] Non-sailing Spouses (was Vancouver, BC)

TN Rhodey tnrhodey at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 09:03:23 EST 2009

Herb,  Sharing hobbies can be a good thing or a bad thing. From what I have
seen it depends on the circumstances. You don't want to ask my buddy what
happened after his wife took up golfing! :-)

My wife is mostly a fair weather sailor and sometime she goes sailing and
some time she doesn't.  To get J interested in sailing I resorted to the old
bait and switch. I got her hooked with repeated Hobie rentals in the
Caribbean. "Wow so this is what sailing is like....just push the boat off
the pretty white sand;;;;;". What's not to like? She also completed her PADI
SCUBA certification in Cayman Brac rather than the local quarry.

To her credit J has now been off shore in rough weather and came through
with flying colors. When cruising up the SE Coast a few years ago we hit the
front end of a Nor'easter while sailing North in the Gulf Stream. We
were aboard my Uncle's 35 foot Pearson and we decided to make for shore.

As the storm rolled in we slowly make our way the 80 miles into Jacksonville
FL. It was the roughest ride I had ever experienced. For those that have
never come in through the JAX inlet the Pilot Guide advises you to maintain
12 knots through the cut in a Nor'easter. Say what????  We were lucky to
push 6 knots!  The inlet is protected by 2 jetties and rolling breaking
waves were  pounding the North jetty crossing the channel trying to force us
into the South Jetty. If that trusty old diesel had decided to die then we
would have been on the rocks for sure.

Fair Winds,

Wally