[Rhodes22-list] Question about forward lower shrouds

Miracles steadilsr at verizon.net
Thu Jun 4 21:23:26 EDT 2009

Mary Lou
Thanks for posting that URL  pic on Slim's repair.
I agree the chainplate must be totally lose and needs to be remounted.
Not only newer boats like these, but all us folks with older boats, should
be carefully inspected
every season for tough to spot   corrosion.   On my uppers, I just recently
covered them with
the material inside and made sure they were okay even sprayed the bolts with
CorrosionX before I covered them up.  But the lowers are all glassed in with
a inverted T shape to the cabin top so the only thing I found is to pull on
them and make sure there is no play at all.

Lou
s/v Miracles
still on stands hoping for an early July launch
Bklyn, NY

We hope to get some adivce about something we just noticed:

Our port connection for the forward lower shroud seems normal, but the
starboard side looks like it has pulled up.  Is that possible?   If it has
pulled up, how is it repaired?

We think that a recent storm had tangled the jib furling line with the port
upper stay and pulled it out of the spreader. Can't even figure out how
that happened.  We got that temporarily fixed, but need a new fitting for
the end of the spreader, too. So it's possible there was some unusual
strain on the starboard shrouds and fittings

Thanks in advance
Jim Barron