[Rhodes22-list] Jbconnolly

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Mon Jun 8 11:06:11 EDT 2009

At 08:59 AM 6/8/2009, Jim wrote:
>  For the list: My tiller is a bit "chalky"
> looking after five years.  The coating on it
> seems very thick, more like an epoxy clear coat
> than a varnish.  Has anyone refinished theirs?  If so, with what product?

We sanded ours down and varnished it probably 7
or 8 years ago. 5 or 6 coats of varnish. sanded
between coats. The full brightwork routine. Nice
winter project. Used real varnish vs Cetol or the
like. We keep it covered with a sunbrella cover
when not in use. Looked fabulous when first done
and for the first couple of years. Still looks
very good though it has a few scratches and dings
and probably ought to be redone.

>The hinged cabin door is sun-bleached and
>blotchy on one side, also.  It is made of two
>pieces of ~3/8 plywood with a piano hinge and a
>wooden cleat (carpentry cleat, not nautical
>cleat) drilled for socket for the leg.  I would
>like the plastic door, but $350 is not in this
>year's budget.  I may just flip it over, but
>would like to refinish it.  Anyone done this,
>and with what? I have the black plastic tracks
>for the cabin door as well as the white plastic
>tracks for the sliding hatch, already.

Our hinged door is Starboard. It's heavy but
requires no maintenance and looks almost brand
new in spite of being casually thrown under the
seats whenever we use the boat. The tracks are
wood. We have an old quart can of West Marine
Teak Treatment (similar to Cetol but  think it
was made for them by Armada) that we use on the
tracks and on the wood trim in the cockpit. The
can was last used two or three years ago (it was
used before that and is probably 7 or 8 years
old) and it's time to do a light sanding and add
another coat. It takes a while to dry (probably
because of its age) but it seemed to work ok.
We'll see if I can get another use out of it.  We
also made a mahogany kickplate for the forward
end of the cockpit (holds the centerboard line).
It gets the West Teak Treatment as well. We also
varnished  (real varnish) the plywood table (that
doubles as the cabin bunk filler). It has held up
very well and looks great. If anyone tries this
be aware that you have to clean it well and sand
VERY lightly or you go right through the fake teak pattern.

Mary Lou
1991 R22  Fretless
Rock Hall, MD