[Rhodes22-list] So about the centerboard

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Thu Mar 19 16:24:13 EDT 2009

Rob,

Now you are getting into the technical aspect of the centerboard and how it
actually works. I have the standard (old style) board and can report that I
prefer it all the way down. Now, on a totally downwind run, I will raise it all
 the way if speed is essential. If I'm going for comfort I will leave it
down. It  will help to stabilize the hull and keep it from pitch poling, but it
will  create drag reducing hull speed.
Another interesting thought I had a few years ago was to change the shape
and length of the rudder. One of my biggest frustrations is the safety factor
Sir Stanley built into the Rhodes. About the time the rudder comes out of the
water and the hull rounds up is just about the time I'm really beginning to
have  fun and then I lose control. Stan sent me an interesting email with some
drawings and suggestions, but I have never found the time to extend mine.
Perhaps some day.

Rummy
**************Feeling the pinch at the grocery store?  Make meals for Under
$10. (http://food.aol.com/frugal-feasts?ncid=emlcntusfood00000002)