[Rhodes22-list] Sailing home

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Mon Mar 23 10:32:02 EDT 2009

Tom,
I don't think it is foolish or dangerous. I think it's more an issue
of time and perhaps also an issue of how adventuresome folks are. It
is a long trip in a small boat but doable with a lot of planning. I
think it would be a great adventure.

One thing to be aware of as a new sailor is weather. You need good
forecasts and the ability to know when conditions warrant re-checking
those forecasts (that's before things turn ugly). Time figures into
weather watching as well. You may find yourself waiting for weather.
The worst thing to have is a schedule that says I only have 4 days to
do this so we have to go now.

Are you leaving from Edenton proper? If so, Elizabeth City may be too
ambitious. A rough bit of work on my NC chartbook with dividers put
it at 60 miles. On days we really have to cover ground we figure six
to eight hours travelling which leaves time for breakfast (or at
least making tea), anchoring and time for dinner. We generally figure
35 miles is a really good day in terms of mileage but not necessarily
in terms of comfort because it will be mostly motoring. On a
beautiful day, 6 hours of motoring is fun. With a headwind it's not.
While we can motor at 6 knots we generally motor at 5 and if there is
current or a headwind you may be down to 4. If you are sailing and
have to tack into the wind a lot, make sure to account for that in
your mileage estimates. You may be sailing with 4 to 5 knots of boat
speed but only making 2 miles an hour (or less) toward your
destination. You'll be probably be motoring long distances so make
sure you have identified many possible refueling stops.

The shallow draft of the Rhodes 22 is a real advantage as is time to explore.

I would suggest sailing the boat in the vicinity of Edenton before
you leave just as a bit of a shakedown. There are often little things
that can be fixed on the spot by Stan and crew which of course means
leaving time for repairs. See if you can get Stan to go out with you
to show you the systems. His knowledge of sailing a Rhodes 22 is
unsurpassed. We learned a lot from a couple of hours spent on the
water with him.

Continue to ask questions here. There is lots of good knowledge.
There is a group of NC Trailer Sailors at http://ncsail.org/  They
have a forum and may be able to give you some local knowledge. Jim
Harrison and Don Clarke have done the Chesapeake end of things -
Norfolk to Elk Neck (at the top of the Bay). Let me know if you want
email addresses for them. I don't believe they are on the list anymore.

Best of luck. When are you planning to pick up the boat. Keep us informed.

Mary Lou
1991 R22  Fretless
Rock Hall, MD