[Rhodes22-list] cross over stays

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Tue May 19 22:12:35 EDT 2009

Hi Gary,
Another Rhodes on the Eastern Shore! My husband Fred says he used to
go crabbing at Public Landing. (I said where the heck is Public Landing?!)

Not sure but in the reference you saw, Stan may have been referring
to the use of the aft lower stays in one version of the General Boats
mast raising system. We have that version. The aft lowers go to the
winch end of the crane (the other end of the crane fastens to a piece
of starboard on the cabin top.) The forward lowers get extenders and
help steady the load on the way up or down (mast starts from or
lowers to a crutch on the stern rail). The effect is crossed stays.
The aft lowers going forward to the crane and the forward lowers
pointing aft as the mast goes up or down. Newer versions of the
system use a line from the winch to a bail on the mast. I believe the
forward stays still get extenders. The aft lowers would just get
attached and wouldn't come into play except when the mast is vertical.

Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless
Rock Hall, MD