[Rhodes22-list] cross over stays

Todd Tavares sprocket80 at mail.com
Sun May 24 19:13:11 EDT 2009

Gary,

   I think maybe you are overthinking this a bit . If you have a standard
mast, it cant weigh more than 50 or 60 lbs empty of sail and boom. But
what I have done is attach eyelets to the side of the mast about 6' up
from the base. You can attach lines from the eyes to the cabin top
handrails even with the mast (MacGregor style "baby stays") similar to
the method outlined in the mast raising instructions on the Rhodes owner
page http://www.rhodes22.org/doclib/Rhodes22-1988-MastHoist-Raven.pdf.

  If you want to go one step more, then instead of tying the lines off to
the cabin top handrails, run them through a loop it the handrail, bring
them foreward and tie them off right near the winch.  That way if the
mast leans when raising, just put pressure on the opposite line and hold
the mast vertical.

Todd T.