[Rhodes22-list] advice needed from litigious Rhodies

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Wed Nov 4 18:00:54 EST 2009

Lee,

Yep, 1400 lbs of ballast is 1400 lbs of ballast except when it moves.  The
major problem with water is that it "sloshes", for lack of a better word and
lead or cement do not (at least at normal temps.)  Some of the mishaps with
cruise ships and freighters were due to movement of cargo or water ballast
as the vessel rolled (heeling in sailboats.)  If the ballast compartment is
not completely full, disaster can strike.

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)
Nissequogue River, NY

From: "KUHN, LELAND" Wednesday, November 04, 2009 4:08 PM