[Rhodes22-list] A question of size and shape (sails ye salty dogs sails)

Rick sloopblueheron at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 16:15:07 EST 2010

John,

Two things affect how much you need to furl your head sail to keep from
heeling over too much:  the wind speed and your point of sail with respect
to wind direction.

Especially if you have IMF, the larger your head sail, the better your boat
will sail.  There's no sin in sailing with the the genny furled down.  In
fact, that's pretty much the reason for having a furler.  You'll find the
CDI furler foil does a better job than the GBI one maintaining the shape of
the partially furled sail.

Raking an IMF mast back won't bend it--it is too thick.  However, raking
while close hauled will increase speed and improve control by tightening the
forestay to give better headsail shape.

Rick