[Rhodes22-list] A question of size and shape (sails ye salty dogs sails)

John Shulick jsbudda at verizon.net
Mon Jan 11 13:17:51 EST 2010

Lee,

 This is a pic. of the backstay adjuster on my boat
http://old.nabble.com/file/p27115052/DSCF0299.jpg
Tension on the line applies a transverse tension on the back stays drawing
them together which essentially shortens their length. The harder you pull
the more you tighten the forestay. Consider a similar device on the forward
baby stays, tension on that line should apply a slight bend to the center of
the mast flattening the main or so the theory goes. I have a standard main
which will is bendable (confirmed by experiment last summer) The question is
how much initial rake do I want when the boat is at rest and how much bend
is needed to effectively flatten the main?

Thanks
John S

Leland wrote:

> [...]
> 175 can provide a lot of power for our light boats and can be very useful
> with a whisker pole on a broad reach or run.
>
> I agree that a smaller sail won't need to be reefed as often and will have
> better shape when reefed.  If most of your sailing is in winds of 8 knots
> or more it probably makes sense to go with a smaller Genoa.  A lot of my
> sailing is in winds of less than 8 knots.
>
> With the sheets ran outside the shrouds on a close reach with the board
> down and the boom up, in most conditions I think I would generally want to
> reef a 150 before hitting 9 knots of wind.
>
> I've never played with mast rake.  I've seen a lot of performance-oriented
> boats with single adjustable backstays that allow you to change the rake
> for upwind or downwind sailing.  How would an adjustable baby stay be
> installed on our boats?  If you devised something to pull down on the
> lines connecting the two backstays would it have any effect?
>
> Good luck!
>
> Lee
> 1986 Rhodes22  At Ease
> Kent Island, MD
>

> Ronald Lipton-3 wrote:
>>
>> Hi John,
>>
>>    I switched from a 175 to a 150 I purchased from Stand last year.
>> I also switched from the GBI Furler to the CDI.  The GBI furler performed
>> well, but I wanted the option to lower or change the foresail, and the
>> CDI furler allows that.
>>
>>   I am very happy with the 150.  I do not need to furl as early and it
>> seems
>> to be well suited to conditions on Lake Michigan more often than the
>> 175.  It also retains it's shape a bit better when partially furled.  In
>> light
>> breezes, when you might want more sail area the 175 does not perform
>> well due to the heavy cloth.   I think the 150 is a bit more suited than
>> the
>> 175.  I would thing the 135 would be a bit too small.
>>
>> Ron
>>

>> John Shulick wrote:
>>>  Hello to the forum,
>>>
>>>   After extensive negotiations (groveling, begging, etc...) with the
>>> Admiral
>>> I have been authorized (allowed) to replace my blown out 35+yrs old 175
>>> genoa and GB furler with new equipment. Over the last 2 yrs. sailing at
>>> Kinzua has shown me the 175 is really not suited for the conditions I
>>> have,
>>> namely wind gusts that can double in velocity usually accompanied by 90*
>>> or
>>> more shifts in direction. I never fully unfurl the genoa unless the wind
>>> is
>>> so light that the sail can't or won't (not sure which) fill properly. My
>>> research into the archives show the older rhodes came with 150 genoas
>>> and my
>>> 71 certainly falls in that group. My question to the forum is at what
>>> approximate wind speed would you begin reefing in a 150 genoa and would
>>> 135 or less be even better for the conditions I'm facing. Also I'm
>>> looking