[Rhodes22-list] A question of size and shape (sails ye salty dogs sails)

Leland LKUHN at cnmc.org
Sun Jan 10 16:22:41 EST 2010

Ron/John (sounds like a surf shop),

In my mind I think I would be just fine with a 150 or even a 135.  On a
close reach in placid water I can usually fill the 175 with about 3.5 knots
of wind.  In 3.5 to 5.0 knots of wind the big Genoa works well.  The sail is
fun and looks pretty in 5 to 7 knots without excessive heel but I can go
faster if I reef it a little.  Much of the time I've got the 175 reefed to a
150 or 135 or less.

However every time I sail with the 175 when it's the right conditions I
swear I'll buy another one when the time comes to replace it.  I may not use
the full 175 often, but when I can use it I want to use it.  I wouldn't want
to give up my traveler, adjustable sheet tracks/leads, centerboard, or
reefable main; and I often don't use them either.  That 175 can provide a
lot of power for our light boats and can be very useful with a whisker pole
on a broad reach or run.

I agree that a smaller sail won't need to be reefed as often and will have
better shape when reefed.  If most of your sailing is in winds of 8 knots or
more it probably makes sense to go with a smaller Genoa.  A lot of my
sailing is in winds of less than 8 knots.

With the sheets ran outside the shrouds on a close reach with the board down
and the boom up, in most conditions I think I would generally want to reef a
150 before hitting 9 knots of wind.

I've never played with mast rake.  I've seen a lot of performance-oriented
boats with single adjustable backstays that allow you to change the rake for
upwind or downwind sailing.  How would an adjustable baby stay be installed
on our boats?  If you devised something to pull down on the lines connecting
the two backstays would it have any effect?

Good luck!

Lee
1986 Rhodes22  At Ease
Kent Island, MD