[Rhodes22-list] Jessica Watson

BenCittadino bencittadino at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 22:22:57 EST 2010

I was thinking that her parents sound like "balloon boy" types. I agree her
skill level may be high, but there are certain things we don't let parents
let their children do as civilized people. Regardless of "special
circumstances" or a high level of maturity, we don't allow children to drive
cars until a certain age, or join the army, or drink in a tavern, or consent
to sex, or sign contracts or a million other things they as individuals
might be able to handle. My point was that this child is too young to fully
appreciate the dangers of this stunt (and stunt is what it is). She isn't
old enough to consent to having a tooth pulled, but these clowns send her
off, or allow her to go off,  in a 34' sailboat to sail the high seas. Her
parents are nuts (not to put too fine a point on it); but that's just my
opinion. I could be wrong.

yours truly,

BenC