[Rhodes22-list] What do you suggest as replacement

Mike Cheung hmcheung57 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 17 08:54:17 EDT 2010

As for the length, the T8PLH has a 20" shaft.  You can get a 25" shaft on the
T8PXH, but honestly the 20" shaft has been just fine.  With the Rhodes motor
lift (we have the manual variety) down, the prop is completely submerged and
with the high thrust prop the little 8 hp motor pushes us to hull speed by
about 1/2 throttle in most conditions.  The prop will "suck air" from time
to time if it's rough or there are big swells, but that is a rare
occurrence.  With the lift up, our prop just drags and we have to tilt the
motor.  I probably would not have gone looking for the power tilt, but it is
very nice to have I have to admit.

Mike Cheung wrote:

> Have a look at the Yamaha 4 cycle 8 hp electric start with the high thrust
> prop; T8PLH is the model we have I believe; which also has power tilt.  We
> have one on Muireann and it's been great.  It isn't rigged with the on
> rudder tiller controls though.  Rather the engine controls are on the
> engine tiller.  This works out fine operating the helm and motor from the
> aft port position (we have a seat there, but it would work fine without).
> Not as slick as the on rudder tiller controls, but darned close.

-----
Mike Cheung
s/v Muireann 1993/2008 Rhodes 22