[Rhodes22-list] re move mainsail

David Culp dculp at hsbtx.com
Mon Mar 1 13:55:54 EST 2010

So you could fix it without taking the mast down?  Then I wouldn't step the
mast just for fun even with the raising system.  There's no trick to it
anyway and it violates my rule not to fix something that isn't broken when
you could be sailing instead.  On the other hand, if you are taking the mast
down for some other purpose, then I would get as many things done as
possible including sliding the main foil out to clean and lube both ends of
it without unfurling the sail.  Also, there are two good size screws that
hold the bottom slider together.  These were loose on my boat and I had to
make a tool to get to the nuts to tighten them with the mast up.  This is
easy with the mast down.  If you are going to take the mast down anyway,
then I would clean and lube all the sheaves and blocks up top that the
halyards and topping lift run through and check all the standing rigging for
wear, especially the forestay.  Also, the spreader boots and tape. Like you
said, If you have a steaming light, now is a good time to check it and put
in a new bulb.   Bottom line, when I take the mast down-I apply Murphy's law
very liberally to all the parts that I normally can't put my hands on, then
I don't worry about them until the next time.

Have fun,
David