[Rhodes22-list] Mast raising land or water

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Mon May 3 09:27:38 EDT 2010

Ken,

Congratulations!

When reading accounts of problems launching or recovering, several questions
always come to mind:
    1.    Is the ramp steep enough?
                At some very steep ramps, Rhodes owners generally do not use
the extension.
                On LI, I have never been able to find a ramp that I could
launch without the extension.
    2.    Are tides the problem?
                Depending on where you launch, the tidal changes can be
quite large.  Here on LI,
                the tide change in 7-8 FEET!  Even with the extension, I can
LAUNCH two hours
                before or after high tide.  Recovery can only be
accomplished at high +/- 1 hour.
                Between ramp traffic and tide change timing, I have learned
how to raise the mast
                on the water (good practice for getting under bridges) and
TIE everything to my
                wrists.  I also use "fast pins" when the wind is up,
replacing them later with clevis
                pins when I am becalmed.  Fast pins have nice rings that I
tie small lines with large
                bowline loops on so that I can slip the loop end around my
wrist until the pin is
                ready to be deployed.  I then use the loop to tie the pin to
the shroud (slip knot)
                so that it will not be lost.  Once the rigging is tensioned,
the fast pins do not fall out.
    3.    Is the trailer in deep enough to launch or recover?
                To properly recover the Rhodes 22, the trailer must be in
the water as so that only
                the very fronts (6 inches) of the bunks are ot of the water.
When launching, the boat
                can be rocked until the bunks are wet enough to slide into
the water.  If you are not in
                deep enough, the Rhodes will get stuck on the bunks and
cannot be pulled far enough
                forward using the winch.  We have to be very mindful of
tidal changes here on LI
                as the water level can drop several inches while getting the
trailer in position.
    4.    How do you engage the tailer guides?
                "Recovery is a matter of lowering the centerboard to engage
the submerged guides
                and simply sailing onto the trailer."  This may be true, but
not here.  Since you have
                high winds at your location, please be particularly aware of
the wind and water
                current directions near the trailer.  I launch in a river
with very fast tidal currents.
                If I am not careful, the current can force the boat into a
piling, pinning it.  During
                recovery I may have to put the bow into the wind or the
current, causing me to
                approach the trailer at a 45 degree angle at substantial
power settings.  Once in
                "capture area" of the guides, the boat swings right on to
the trailer!  You must have
                faith and a good approach.  In late October when I pull out
for the season, it is very
                windy and cold so one must perfect these skills when it is
safe to make small mistakes.
    5.    How close can I get to the overhead wires?
                Scope out the launch area (all ramp approaches as you may be
redirected if a given
                ramp location is tied up.)  Look for any overhead wire since
you have a 27' mast atop
                a deck about 7' off the pavement.  Aluminum is a good
conductor of electricity and
                many overhead wires are not well insulated.  Even brushing
up against one can leave
                significant arc damage (been there.)  Be especially wary if
the parking lot has been
                recently restriped or changed since the guy who tries to fit
as many cars in the space
                provided rarely looks up.
    6.    How much beer does it take to raise a mast?
                Try to get the important issues settled before applying
large quantities of alcohol based
                products to mast raisers.  It has been reported that those
who supply larger quantities
                have less problems finding friends to perform these chores.
Please be careful if you
                are raising the mast in a parking lot since it is about 7
feet to the ground from the deck.

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)
Nissequogue River, NY