[Rhodes22-list] anchor light

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Fri May 21 13:27:51 EDT 2010

Dave,

I agree with you.  Lights are a necessity.  Be seen.  We have our share of
imbibed sailors on LI Sound (not to mention crazy or drunk ferry operators)
who have injured or killed boaters underway and at anchor.

I was just looking at some 12V LED rope lighting to run up the rigging when
at anchor.  Has anyone tried LED ropes?

Do it yourself stuff:
150' spools:
http://www.birddogdistributing.com/150-120volt-2wire-rope-light-spool-clear-accessory-p-116.html

http://www.1000bulbs.com/search.php?search_data=12v+led+rope+white&cat=%22%22&x=0&y=0&count=10&start=0

by the foot:
http://www.birddogdistributing.com/precut-warm-white-2wire-led-rope-light-p-781.html

http://www.sailorsams.com/mall/led-rope-lights.asp#12%20Volt%20LED%20ROPE%20Light

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)
Nissequogue River, NY

From: "David Bradley" Friday, May 21, 2010 12:48 PM
If camping on an inland lake at night, I would surely surely want to
have an all-around light on the mast, and would have additional lights
in the cockpit during evening hours.

Two summers ago a couple was camping in their sailboat on Lake
Washington and they were run down at night by a drunken boater in a
high-speed boat.  The woman was killed.

Soberly,

Dave B
Seattle

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 5:08 AM, Joe Babb <joe.babb at comcast.net> wrote:
> Hi Joe,
> This is just my opinion. It's important to have some kind of light to
> burn at night even when you are out of the channel and on an inland
> lake. Here in East Tennessee we usually have a report at least once a
> year of either bass boaters or jet skiers running into docks or other
> things late at night. A nice secluded cove is no protection. Any light
> is good. It doesn't mean a drunken boater will see you, but maybe it
> will make some difference. We have an all around light on the masthead
> which works for anchor or steaming according to CG. Some people hang a
> lantern in the rigging for an anchor light.
> Best,
> Joe

David Bradley
+1.206.234.3977