[Rhodes22-list] Hit by a car, can my rhodes be saved?

John Shulick jsbudda at verizon.net
Tue May 25 22:25:12 EDT 2010

Mike,

 From the pictures I saw reaching all the cracks would be problematic at
best given the cramped conditions in the laz and the need to grind the
surface to prepare it properly for the glass sheets and resin to bond
properly, Particular concern would be the cracks below the plimsol line,
they may extend into the area where the foam flotation area is under the
cockpit floor and not accessible. I am also assuming a worst case scenario
so any surprises would be on the plus side. I have managed to my surprise to
fit my 6'0" 290 lb frame into the laz to do some bolt tightening and such
but it was pretty tight quarters. the deck by itself can't weigh that much
an old rhodes comes in at around 2500 lbs 700 of that is ballast so 1800/2
equals about 900 or so pounds and probably is less since we haven't
considered mast and wood work at all. A rented mobile cherry picker should
do the job. 2 one day rentals should do, one to get it off and lay aside and
one to put it back on. I Also point out this would give easy access to
everything in the boat with regard to stringers and such for a total rebuild
which should be equal to or superior to any thing stans people can crank
out. This is not a job for the faint of heart or non handy people. It would
be much easier to simply throw money at someone else to do the job I agree,
but that is not always possible. Any boat yard (including stan) would
probably charge materials x 5 for labor I doubt you would get a bid under
$10,000 for anyone to touch the job. For that much I could work miracles.
Nothing would please me more than to be proven wrong on this, I hope someone
brings this thread to stans attention and he underbids my estimate. I don't
like the thought of any rhodes being scuttled old or new.

Best wishes
John S