[Rhodes22-list] heater in the cabin

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Fri Nov 19 13:15:49 EST 2010

A couple of thoughts on heaters. We have anchored out when the
temperature at night dips into the low to mid-thirties. These have
all been in the Fall so the water temperature is warmer than the air
temperature. With the pop-top enclosure and plenty of warm clothes
and bedding, we've stayed warm enough. I remember one particularly
cold evening we kept the edge off the cold so we could stay up later
in the cabin by heating a teakettle to close to boiling several times
during the evening.  I believe that was also the time we had to warm
the canister (propane/butane mix) with our hands to get it to flow
properly. Once we raised the temp in the cabin a few degrees it was
fine. We do have a small electric heater for when we are at the dock
and it does a great job.

My personal opinion (based on nothing but hearsay) is that I would
not want an alcohol burner on board. Alcohol burns with a nearly
colorless flame and I've heard of a number of fires caused by
improperly functioning or improperly handled alcohol stoves (not
heaters but still).

Best,
Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless