[Rhodes22-list] Sailing Upwind

Chris Cowie ccowie at cowieassociates.com
Tue Oct 26 09:30:16 EDT 2010

I have the 175 on my R22 2009.  I have made several posts about the difficulty of sailing close hauled.  I like the 175 for the power and speed it offers.  Furling the genoa in to a jib and positioning the sheets on the side or top of the cabin allows me to point higher but often at the cost of speed.  I don't think I would want to give up the power and speed of the 175 and can live with a less than perfectly shaped jib.  Stan suggested that Phillip Rhodes original design of our boat was for the stern to not have as much weight as we have added with heavy motors, gas tanks, anchors etc... and for the stern to sit higher in the water.  I currently have both the sink water tank and holding tank filled with water as an experiment to see if putting more weight up forward could improve the pointing ability.  I hope to get out for one more overnight adventure on the Chesapeake and will report back on my water tank experiment.

Christopher P. Cowie

4400 MacArthur Blvd, NW
Suite 300
Washington, DC  20007