[Rhodes22-list] Motors and linkage

David Keyes rhodes22dave at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 20:28:39 EDT 2010

I will look at the filter brand this weekend when I am back in Austin where
my boat is.  I bought it at West Marine to be inserted in the middle of my
existing 5/16" fuel line between the gas tank and the motor.  Installing is
easy.  Just buy two extra hose clamps for each end, slice the hose at the
point where you want the filter (mine is about a foot or two from the gas
tank on the side of the squeeze bulb towards the motor. Insert the in-line
filter into the sliced hose pieces.  The filter is a small, clear cylinder
about two or two or three inches long, not much wider than the gas line
itself, and has a replaceable filter cartridge inside.  When the filter gets
yellow, it's time to replace it.  So buy and extra cartridge or two while at
the store.  There are more expensive filters that are designed to mount on a
wall.  But the cheap one works fine.  I learned to use it the hard way after
ruining my carburetor after the mandatory switch to ethanol.  No problems
since then.

There is another benefit:  Sometimes the engine used to fail to start, or
would die shortly after starting.  The squeeze bulb might seem firm, but in
fact there was no gas getting to the motor.  Now, with the clear filter, I
can see when I have primed the line and the filter is full of gas.  At that
point, the Yamaha starts on the first try, every time, and it stays running
until I turn it off.  These are all new experiences for my Yamaha.

Conversely, if I come to the boat on a hot day and there is not much gas in
the tank, there is maybe vapor lock, and anyway I can't get the squeeze bulb
to fill up the line (as seen through the clear filter), I no longer even try
to start the engine.  No point draining my batteries and getting tired and
frustrated from even trying to start the engine.  No fuely, no starty.    I
have whatever I brought to eat and drink right at the dock, and go home,
resolved to bring more gas with me next time.